Spyke sets new record for climbing all the Munros

Starting on Sunday 25th April 2010 with Ben More on Mull, Stephen Pyke (aka Spyke) set himself the challenge of climbing all Scotland's 3,000 ft hills, better known as the Munros, in a continuous round under his own steam - on foot, by bike and paddling a kayak.

On 3rd June, just 39 days 9 hours and 6 minutes later, Spyke touched the summit cairn on Ben Hope in Sutherland to complete the fastest round of the Munros. The previous record was 48 days 12 hours set by Charlie Campbell in 2000.

Spyke is keen that his journey through the Highlands can inspire and encourage people to join the John Muir Trust – the UK’s leading wild lands charity. Please take time to read more about the JMT and even if you decide not to join you can support their valuable work by donating to the Trust at the following Just Giving Page.

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Day 35 Torridon

Somewhat tardy start this morning despite having breakfast provided by Steve, the hostel warden, the change in routine seems to make everything more difficult to find, are we actually excepting living in a big tin box as the norm?,Oh dear!!!
A huge thanks for the cheery welcome, and support from Steve and the hostel manager Mat, they make a great team, they are outdoor people so are aware of what Spyke was about, no need for the usual explanations about the round.
Yesterdays rain persisted into this morning and would fall through-out the day, together with sporadic low cloud not a great day to be traversing miles of loose slippy boulders.
Spyke cycled through Torridon village, then with Swatts as company set about the awesome threesome which make up the Torridons, there being some consolation, six munros are the reward for traverse.
Swatts returned to the van after completing Beinn Alligan and Liathach, his troublesome ankle looking really swollen and painful, Spyke soldiered on over Bheinn Eighe, with his now reliable burst of energy later in the day, arriving at the carpark about 21.00.
Tom Brunt, and Ian Dark Peak(I just know that's not his proper name) had turned up during the afternoon, so there is much discussion on the best way to tackle the next two days in Fisherfield and the Fanniachs. Tom was happy to leave for Dundonnel spend the night there, then haul overnight gear into Shenavall bothy to meet Spyke on the route around lunchtime, that done, we settle down for an early night in yet another carpark.
ps My cuckoo thing is still on a streak, heard at least three today, also saw what I think was a Red Kite whilst on a 50 miles round trip to the shops.


Puff said...

No other comments - others are holding their breath! Weather looks as if it is turning out better for your big day less slipping I hope.Won't see this till you have done the twelve I expect. Glad JC had a Red Kite for company. Looks as if good support is available.On the home stretch at last.Has Tim arrived?

Run Like a Girl 2010 said...

Good luck with the final push - just reading it all is exhausting - big hugs - cheers Karen

Felltop said...

Spyke seemed remarkably fresh and chatty when I bumped into him on Sgurr Breac yesterday. It was a perfect day for running though. Naerly there.....

Anonymous said...

Hey Spyke, hope you thoroughly enjoy the last few miles......fancy some pacing in the lakes on Saturday?!!!!