Spyke sets new record for climbing all the Munros

Starting on Sunday 25th April 2010 with Ben More on Mull, Stephen Pyke (aka Spyke) set himself the challenge of climbing all Scotland's 3,000 ft hills, better known as the Munros, in a continuous round under his own steam - on foot, by bike and paddling a kayak.

On 3rd June, just 39 days 9 hours and 6 minutes later, Spyke touched the summit cairn on Ben Hope in Sutherland to complete the fastest round of the Munros. The previous record was 48 days 12 hours set by Charlie Campbell in 2000.

Spyke is keen that his journey through the Highlands can inspire and encourage people to join the John Muir Trust – the UK’s leading wild lands charity. Please take time to read more about the JMT and even if you decide not to join you can support their valuable work by donating to the Trust at the following Just Giving Page.

Monday, May 24, 2010

Day 29 The Cuillin Ridge

Spot on 06.00 Spyke, and Neil King leave the Glen Brittle campsite to take on one of the most daunting challenges in an itinary of big challenges. This is a day when the tough guys toe the plate, Neil who agreed at short notice to accompany Spyke across the ridge, following Steve Watts ankle injury. Steve has come up with Neil, fortified by tape and painkillers he walks up to the "In Pin" leads the climb, then decides to finish the remainder of the route with Spyke and Neil. A triumph for guts and Ibrufen!!
JC and Al walked in with Steve, Al left early as he had to catch a flight from Glasgow late that afternoon, Spyke has some great mates, Al had flown from Brighton to Glasgow, hired a car then tracked us down in order to spend a very few hours with him. After delivering water to the troops, and taking some pics of the In Pin ascent, JC returned to the van enjoying the brief spell of sunshine this made quite a change from the low cloud, and wind which was around for the first part of the traverse.
Phil Cheek yet another Macc Harrier met me at Sligachan, he is on his way to a whale watch around the Scottish Isles breaking his journey by calling in to offer help where required he was soon roped in to take Neil to Glen Brittle to retrieve his car.
It was to prove a longish wait, they had hoped to be down in time to eat in the Sligachan Hotel, unfortunately for them it was 21.30 when they arrived so were "treated" to heaping plates of JC special leftovers sauce with pasta. I am writing this the following day and they have all survived, a victory for culinary ingenuity I think!!

1 comment:

Sam said...

Well Done! The ridge traverse is no small job! I did the In pinn in April in cracking weather, that was daunting enough!

Keep it going!