Spyke sets new record for climbing all the Munros

Starting on Sunday 25th April 2010 with Ben More on Mull, Stephen Pyke (aka Spyke) set himself the challenge of climbing all Scotland's 3,000 ft hills, better known as the Munros, in a continuous round under his own steam - on foot, by bike and paddling a kayak.

On 3rd June, just 39 days 9 hours and 6 minutes later, Spyke touched the summit cairn on Ben Hope in Sutherland to complete the fastest round of the Munros. The previous record was 48 days 12 hours set by Charlie Campbell in 2000.

Spyke is keen that his journey through the Highlands can inspire and encourage people to join the John Muir Trust – the UK’s leading wild lands charity. Please take time to read more about the JMT and even if you decide not to join you can support their valuable work by donating to the Trust at the following Just Giving Page.

Monday, April 26, 2010

Day 2 - Glenfinnan to Fersit

Spyke successfully completed a massive day today, taking in the 10 Munros running along the northern side of Glen Nevis. Many of these hills will still be covered in snow... Ben Nevis, Carn Mor Dearg, Aonach Mor, Aonach Beag, Sgurr Choinnich Mor, Stob Coire an Laoigh, Stob Choire Claurigh, Stob Ban, Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin and Stob Coire Easain.

Spyke reached Fersit at 8.15pm this evening, and is staying at the Tulloch Station Lodge tonight.

9 comments:

Charlie Campbell said...

Nice One Stephen, forget about Gulvain, it will be easily picked up in the weeks to come. Day Two and already you are two hills in front of what I did - the GlenFin 2 eluded me on day 1, never mind the Gul. Keep plodding on, and get through the next big days - I can't promise any enjoyment but the nutter they call Manny Gorman may join you in his own backyard, around Laggan et al...(Honest most Westies are normal (ish).
One day at a time, as the song goes...

Archie said...

Hi Spyke - you don't know me and I don't know you but I'll certainly be following your progress with interest as will many others who don't post comments. A very impressive start, good luck with the rest of the trip, enjoy the good days and keep slogging it out when the going gets tough.

Bryon McEwan said...

Well done Spyke, the other McEwans and myself wish you well and will be following your progress daily. Nice to see that you actually started..... on time! - virtually unheard of in all of the 15 odd years I've known you ;-).

philcheek said...

Spyke,Good to see you underway & that the paddle went smoothly.Though with Tony Hammock looking after you you were always going to be in safe hands.
Don`t forget to have the support team keep us up to date with any changes in rote/schedule so we know where to join you.And if any gaps in the support appear let me know 7I`ll see if I can get up to cover.
Phil Cheek

Tom Brunt said...

Enjoying following your progress on the blog. Keep up the good work and I hope to see you in Torridon.

John Kynaston said...

This sounds a great challenge and I look forward to following your progress.

J.Steele's 50 in 52 said...

All the best Spyke
Im up in Skye when you are scheduled to be their, I will keep my eyes open for you around about Blaven. The best of luck mate,you will get the result you are after

ALAN LUCKER said...

Wow that is a big day. I did the Ramsay round last year and know how tiring the leg over the same hills is. Respect. Keep up the good work. good luck.

Pete said...

Good luck Spyke. It took me 10 years and that was without all the cycling and paddling. You're obviously superfit already but the one time I tried doing an intensive burst I got shin splints after 10 continuous days and had to sit on a Greek beach for a few weeks to recuperate!